Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Mon August 19, 2013
Abortions Decline for the Third Straight Year
The state Department of Health Services says doctors performed 6,927 abortions in 2012.
The number is a 4.4 percent drop from the previous year, when there were 7,249 abortions in the state.
Last year was the third consecutive year in which the number of abortions in Wisconsin went down.
The rate of abortions in 2012 was 6.1 per 1,000, among women ranging from 15 to 44 years in age. The national average is estimated to be 15.1 per 1,000, based on the most recent numbers available (from 2009).