Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Thick Ice on Wisconsin Rivers Could Lead to Ice Jams This Spring
Arts & Culture
Thu May 23, 2013
Active Military Members: Visit Many Wisconsin Museums for Free This Summer
Starting Memorial Day, and running through Labor Day, more than 45 museums across Wisconsin will allow active duty military personnel and up to five family members to visit for free.
The Blue Star Museum program is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense and more than 2,000 museums across the county.
Museums participating in Milwaukee:
- Haggerty Museum of Art
- Jewish Museum of Milwaukee
- Lynden Sculpture Garden
- Milwaukee Art Museum - MAM is also offering free admission to all veterans throughout the run of The Veterans Book Project: Objects for Deployment exhibition
- Milwaukee County Historical Society
- North Point Lighthouse Friends, Inc.
Among museums elsewhere taking part:
- Cedarburg Cultural Center-Kuhefuss House Museum in Cedarburg
- Old World Wisconsin in Eagle
- National Railroad Museum in Green Bay
- Above and Beyond Children's Museum in Sheboygan
View the complete list of museums in Wisconsin, and across the county, offering free admission to military families Monday, May 27, 2013 through Monday, September 2, 2013.
The Blue Star Museums website defines who is eligible for free admission as:
The free admission program is available to any bearer of a Geneva Convention common access card (CAC), a DD Form 1173 ID card, or a DD Form 1173-1 ID card, which includes active duty U.S. military - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserve, as well as members of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, NOAA Commissioned Corps - and up to five family members.
Spouses and families of deployed military personnel are eligible to take part in the program.