Most Active Stories
- New Wisconsin Law Requires Work for Food Stamps
- UWM's Freshwater School Shares Its Fish With Milwaukee County Zoo Animals
- Border Crisis: Milwaukee Organization to Help House Immigrant Children, if Needed
- Milwaukee Considers Using Abandoned Basements to Hold Storm Water
- Bradford Beach 'Set' For Stop On Pro Volleyball Tour
Newport Folk Festival
Mon July 29, 2013
Black Prairie, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2013
Originally published on Fri June 20, 2014 2:45 pm
When Colin Meloy put The Decemberists on long-term hiatus to focus on other projects — including his own set at this year's Newport Folk Festival — the remaining members needed their own fresh musical outlet. Fortunately, Chris Funk and Nate Query were already spending their spare time in a lovely roots-folk outfit called Black Prairie, which began as a largely instrumental string band. These days, the group has expanded to include fellow Decemberist Jenny Conlee, though the spotlight is also shared with a charming singer and violinist named Annalisa Tornfelt.
Hear Black Prairie perform songs from 2012's A Tear in the Eye Is a Wound in the Heart as part of the 2013 Newport Folk Festival, recorded live on Sunday, July 28 in Newport, R.I.
- "Rock of Ages"
- "For The Love Of John Hartford"
- "How Do You Ruin Me?"
- "Dirty River Stomp"
- "Richard Manuel"
- "Jump Up / Winter Wind"
- "Nowhere, Massachusetts"
- "Back Alley"
- "What You Gave Me"
- "The Song Remains The Same" (Led Zeppelin cover)