Most Active Stories
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Advocate: WI's High Rate of Incarcerating Black Men an "Undeclared State of Emergency"
- UWM Basketball Win Might Mean More than a Spot in the NCAA Tournament
Arts & Culture
Mon May 6, 2013
Book Club Focuses on Women's Fiction - Okay, Chick Lit
It’s not quite beach weather out there yet, but an area book club specializes in a literary form with a reputation for being well-read at the beach.
Kelly Malone organizes the Milwaukee Chick Lit Book Club. And while everyone has their own definition of the genre, Malone's is pretty specific.
"Chick lit is any sort of fiction or even non-fiction that has a strong female voice," she says, "but is current, contemporary, and has a bit of humor to it."
With that in mind, here is Malone's All-Time Chick Lit Top 10:
- Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
- Something Borrowed / Something Blue by Emily Giffin
- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
- Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
- Watermelon by Marian Keyes
- Good in Bed by Jennifer Wiener
- Bitter is the New Black by Jennifer Lancaster
- MWF Seeking BFF: My Year Long Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche
- A Total Waste of Makeup by Kim Gruenenfelder
- Perfect on Paper: The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane