Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Wed September 12, 2012
Community Gardens: Transforming Neighborhoods
Land trusts are far from new to the American experience. There exists a century-old tradition of private and nonprofit groups preserving land not protected by the government.
A local group - founded a dozen years ago – wields preservation tools with an urban twist – transforming empty lots into urban gardens.
WUWM Environmental Reporter Susan Bence headed out to 49th Street – just west of Washington Park – to see what a group of neighbors have accomplished.
Milwaukee Urban Gardens is going to be showing off the garden Susan Bence visited – along with other burgeoning green spaces – this Sunday with a bus tour.