Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Fri April 11, 2014
Congressman Tom Petri to Retire Instead of Seeking Re-Election
Republican Congressman Tom Petri of Wisconsin says he will retire after more than 30 years in the House of Representatives.
In a statement Friday, Petri says he will make a formal announcement in his district on Monday, about his plans not to seek re-election.
Just last week, GOP state Sen. Glenn Grothman announced he would challenge Petri in a Republican primary in August.
Petri is considered one of the more moderate Republicans in the House and was first elected in 1979.
His district covers east central Wisconsin.