Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Black Male Incarceration Devastates Milwaukee Neighborhoods
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Politics & Government
Tue September 17, 2013
County Inks New Deal for War Memorial/Milwaukee Art Museum
Milwaukee County officials have approved a new agreement for funding the lakefront War Memorial and the Milwaukee Art Museum.
The War Memorial Center/Milwaukee Art Museum will receive about $1.6 million a year from the county beginning next year through 2023. The county will also provide $10 million for capital improvements between 2013 and 2107.
The county funding will supplement the Art Museum's planned contribution of $15 million. The money will be used to pay for improvements to the publicly-owned portions of the War Memorial and Art Museum buildings and grounds.
Milwaukee County Board chairwoman Marina Dimitrijevic says the signing of the compromise "signals the beginning of a rejuvenated partnership that will honor our veterans and preserve our art."