Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Wed August 14, 2013
Election Observer Rules Approved
The Wisconsin Government Accountability Board has approved permanent rules governing poll observers.
Municipal clerks would be prohibited from allowing poll observers to get any closer than six feet to the table where voters announce their names and addresses. Observers could not be placed any farther away than 12 feet from the check-in table. Poll observers would also be prohibited from using cell phones or cameras while the polls are open. Electioneering would be prohibited. For about the last five years, the requirements have been imposed through policy statements and emergency rules.The new rules make the requirements permanent, however they are still subject to legislative approval.