Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Fri July 19, 2013
Gillian Welch And David Rawlings On Mountain Stage
Originally published on Fri July 19, 2013 8:27 pm
Singer-songwriter Gillian Welch and guitarist David Rawlings made their first Mountain Stage appearance on Nov. 19, 1995. At the time of this performance, their landmark debut Revival was many months from release, and Welch was celebrating having her songs covered by Tim & Mollie O'Brien and the Nashville Bluegrass band on their latest albums.
When Revival was released the next spring, it met with massive critical acclaim; Welch and Rawlings' singular stew of rural Appalachian sounds, bluegrass, country, folk and rock is all but universally recognized as some of the finest music of its time.
Their Mountain Stage set includes songs that would later be included on Revival, along with "Red Clay Halo," which Welch would finally record for 2001's Time (The Revelator).
- "One More Dollar"
- "Pass You By"
- "By The Mark"
- "Red Clay Halo"