Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Politics & Government
Fri June 21, 2013
Governor Walker Praises Legislature's Budget Decisions
Gov. Walker is expressing satisfaction with the budget the Legislature has approved. Lawmakers made several changes to the governor's initial plan.
However, the majority retained his overall goals of providing an income tax cut, an expansion of private school vouchers statewide and limiting Medicaid health care coverage to people living at or below 100% of the poverty level.
Walker says the package will bring more prosperity to residents.
Debate in the state Senate lasted more than 12 hours, but shortly after midnight Friday, members voted on the 2013-2015 budget. It passed by a vote of 17-16, with Republican Dale Schultz of Richland Center joining all Democrats in opposition.