Most Active Stories
- Southeastern Wisconsin's Super Rich and Super Poor are Practically Neighbors
- New Ranking: Milwaukee Still Country's Most Segregated Metro Area
- VIDEO: Sunday's Chain Reaction Pileup on Hwy 41/45
- To Tackle Icy Streets, Milwaukee Experiments with Cheese Brine
- Milwaukeeans Reflect on Nelson Mandela's Achievements and Influence
Politics & Government
Fri June 21, 2013
Governor Walker Praises Legislature's Budget Decisions
Gov. Walker is expressing satisfaction with the budget the Legislature has approved. Lawmakers made several changes to the governor's initial plan.
However, the majority retained his overall goals of providing an income tax cut, an expansion of private school vouchers statewide and limiting Medicaid health care coverage to people living at or below 100% of the poverty level.
Walker says the package will bring more prosperity to residents.
Debate in the state Senate lasted more than 12 hours, but shortly after midnight Friday, members voted on the 2013-2015 budget. It passed by a vote of 17-16, with Republican Dale Schultz of Richland Center joining all Democrats in opposition.