Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Wed September 25, 2013
Major I-43 Bridge in Green Bay Sags, Closes
The Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge crossing the Fox River in Green Bay is closed, because a section is sagging.
A driver noticed early Wednesday, that all four lanes dipped on the eastern rise, about three feet. Police closed the bridge shortly afterward; no one has been injured.
Engineers are inspecting the structure. They say a concrete support upholding a section of the bridge has settled more than two feet.
Thousands of vehicles have used the bridge every day since it opened in 1981.
According to DOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb, the bridge is not in danger of collapsing but until further notice, will remain closed.