Most Active Stories
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Advocate: WI's High Rate of Incarcerating Black Men an "Undeclared State of Emergency"
- UWM Basketball Win Might Mean More than a Spot in the NCAA Tournament
- These Cute Images Make Reading Chinese Characters 'Chineasy'
Politics & Government
Thu May 30, 2013
Milwaukee County Exec Picks New Parks Director
John Dargle is in line to become Milwaukee County's next parks director. Dargle has headed the Fairfax County Park Authority in Virginia.
Milwaukee County Executive Abele will formally announce his selection of Dargle Thursday afternoon, at Koscuiszko Park, on the city's near south side.
According to Abele's office, the park authority Dargle headed in Fairfax County was nationally-respected and served about a million residents - comparable to Milwaukee County.
Pending County Board confirmation, Dargle would succeed Sue Black, who also won national acclaim for her direction of the parks system. Abele dismissed her last year, for unstated reasons. She has since become owner and president of the Milwaukee Wave indoor soccer team.
Dargle would take over, next month, as head of the parks system. It's operating with a $65 million budget and $50 million capital budget - notable increases over recent years.
In a statement, Abele says the county's national search produced top-notch candidates, but Dargle stood out, including "for his collaborative work with constituents, partners, stakeholders and government leaders."
While the search has been underway, Jim Keegan served as acting parks director.