Most Active Stories
- Post Ranking: Top 3 Most Challenging High Schools in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Worst in Nation for Well-Being of Black Children
- Robotic Exo-Skeleton Allows Paralyzed Madison Vet to Stand Up and Walk
- Packers' Old Turf Helps Revitalize South Side Milwaukee Neighborhood
- Reverse Job Fair: Selling Young Professionals On Opportunities Available in Milwaukee
Politics & Government
Tue July 9, 2013
Milwaukee Courthouse Closed for Week; Safety Building to Reopen Wednesday
The Milwaukee County Courthouse will remain closed until Monday. However, the Safety Building will reopen Wednesday, and all criminal court cases will resume.
A basement electrical fire over the weekend destroyed the electric infrastructure, so crews must rebuild it.
The Safety Building was also damaged, but will reopen for business on July 10. Here are county instructions:
-- All criminal court cases scheduled for Wednesday will take place at the adjacent Safety Building or Criminal Justice Facility.
-- People with a criminal case or injunction hearing should report to the Safety Building, Room 117.
-- People with 8:30 A.M. hearings should report at 9:30 A.M.
-- People scheduled to report at 1:30 P.M. should show up on time.
-- Jurors should not report for duty.
According to County Executive Abele, workers must clean all one-million square feet of the courthouse, before public business can resume there. The building must also pass an air quality test.
Right now, generators are powering the courthouse and adjacent Safety Building. Investigators have not yet identified the cause of the fire.
Because of the clean-up, the Milwaukee County Board will meet Wednesday at MATC.