Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Black Male Incarceration Devastates Milwaukee Neighborhoods
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Fri February 7, 2014
Missing Beloit Newborn Found in Iowa; Denver Woman Charged with Kidnapping
A baby, not even one week old, was found alive and well Friday outside a gas station in West Branch, Iowa. He had been missing since early Thursday.
Hours later, federal prosecutors charged Kristin Smith of Denver with taking the newborn. If convicted, she faces life in prison.
Police reported finding six-day-old Kayden Powell in a tote bag, swaddled in blankets, outside the gas station. According to initial reports, he was crying but appeared healthy, despite being left outside in the frigid cold.
The newborn's mother reported him missing from his bassinet early Thursday, in the Town of Beloit. Local, state and federal officers launched a massive search.
Investigators reviewed surveillance video from the gas station and reportedly arrested Smith at another station, about a half mile away.