Most Active Stories
- New Wisconsin Law Requires Work for Food Stamps
- UWM's Freshwater School Shares Its Fish With Milwaukee County Zoo Animals
- Border Crisis: Milwaukee Organization to Help House Immigrant Children, if Needed
- Milwaukee Considers Using Abandoned Basements to Hold Storm Water
- Bradford Beach 'Set' For Stop On Pro Volleyball Tour
Politics & Government
Fri August 2, 2013
Moore, Pocan Seek Special Protection for LGBT Youth
Milwaukee Congresswoman Gwen Moore and Madison Congressman Mark Pocan want language protecting LGBT runaway and homeless youth added to a bill up for reauthorization in Congress.
The Runaway and Homeless Youth Act which was passed about five years is up for a vote again in Washington. Congressional Representatives Moore and Pocan want to assure that LGBT youth are not discriminated against. They are calling for organizations that receive grant money under the legislation to have the capability to specifically target LGBT with programming. In a release, Gwen Moore's office points out LGBT are disproportionately represented in youth homelessness statistics. Rep. Pocan says, "We have a moral responsibility to ensure that all youth, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, have access to life-saving services and safe, welcoming places to stay."