Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- Young Black Men in Milwaukee Ditch Sneakers and Jeans for Tuxedos
- Milwaukee's Best New Restaurants
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
Health & Science
Mon May 21, 2012
Orangutans Hop on the iPad Bandwagon
Back in February, Lake Effect celebrated Primate week with a series of stories and features about our close cousins. One of those features considered the technological prowess of primates – and we’re not talking just humans. There was Albert II, the first rhesus monkey in space. Or the orangutans at the Milwaukee County Zoo, who, like their human counterparts, really enjoy iPads. It may not be what Steve Jobs had in mind, but it turns out that iPads have some practical uses at a zoo.
Lake Effect’s Stephanie Lecci produced our feature – it first aired in February. She spoke with the zoo’s Trish Kahn, who is area supervisor of primates and apes, and volunteer Scott Engel, and she thanks MJ, Mahal and Tommy the orangutans for their patience.