Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Economy & Business
Thu September 12, 2013
PHOTOS: Train Cars Get New Life at Avalon Rail
Whether or not you are a rail fan, you might have noticed private rail cars attached to the end of a conventional train, or sitting on the tracks at the intermodal station in Milwaukee.
Or you might even have had a chance to ride a specialty or tourist railroad.
Generally, these cars have has a journey – they’ve served their purpose, often been put out to pasture, before being purchased for modern use.
It might surprise you to learn that many of the train cars are rehabbed right here in Milwaukee, at a company called Avalon Rail. The company’s shop is at the end of a road in West Allis, in an old Allis-Chalmers facility.
June Garland is the owner and president of Avalon Rail, and she gave Lake Effect’s Dan Harmon a tour of the facility.