Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Mon September 1, 2014
President Obama Says America is Moving Forward
President Obama addressed thousands of labor supporters at Milwaukee’s annual Laborfest on Monday.
President Obama’s 31 minute speech harkened back to his 2008 campaign. He asked the crowd to not only believe in him, but to believe in themselves. He says America is on the move and no political party will stand in the way of American values. He says its time the lowest paid workers make a little more.
“That’s how I measure progress, not just by how well the economy is doing overall, but how it’s doing for folks who are working so hard, doing everything right, just want a fair shot and didn’t have anything handed to them in their lives. Weren’t born with a silver spoon in their mouths,” Obama says.
Mr. Obama blamed the lack of movement at the federal level on Republicans. At one point he told the crowd not to boo because they didn’t like something, to vote.