Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Wed October 16, 2013
Richards Announces Run For State AG
Milwaukee state Representative Jon Richards is the first Democrat to announce his candidacy in the 2014 state Attorney General's race.
Republican incumbent J.B. Van Hollen announced last week that he would not seek a third term.
The first person to declare an interest in running is Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel. He plans to run on the Republican ticket.
Democrat Jon Richards announced today he has filed the necessary paperwork to enter the race. He was first elected to the Assembly in 1999 representing part of the City of Milwaukee and has continued to practice law.
Both Richards and Schimel say one problem they would address, if elected, is fighting the increase in heroin use across Wisconsin.
Election Day next year is November 4. If a primary is needed, it would take place in August.