Most Active Stories
- Southeastern Wisconsin's Super Rich and Super Poor are Practically Neighbors
- New Ranking: Milwaukee Still Country's Most Segregated Metro Area
- Dogs Enter Wisconsin Wolf Hunt Monday
- To Tackle Icy Streets, Milwaukee Experiments with Cheese Brine
- Milwaukeeans Reflect on Nelson Mandela's Achievements and Influence
Arts & Culture
Thu May 16, 2013
Skylight Music Theatre Closes Season with Porgy and Bess
Artistic Director Bill Theisen explains why he chose the production of Porgy and Bess to end his nine-year run at the Skylight Music Theatre.
The closing show of the Skylight Music Theatre’s current season also marks the end of an era for the theater. Their staging of a new production of the Gershwins’ classic Porgy and Bess also marks the last production under the artistic direction of Bill Theisen.
It’s a stripped down production – the cast in some productions can number as many as 70, but Skylight’s rendition includes only 15.
This production is Skylight’s first staging of Porgy and Bess, and it’s the first Milwaukee production of the play since 1989.
Bill Theisen is the stage director and choreographer for this production, which opens tomorrow. The production will end his nine-year tenure as artistic director at the organization – new artistic director Viswa Subbaraman takes over the position next season. Theisen has been associated with Skylight Music Theatre since 1981.