Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Tue November 12, 2013
Suspect Killed in Downtown Transit Center was 17-year-old
Milwaukee police say 17-year-old Shawn M. Rieves tried to carjack a vehicle, then fired a shot at it, before officers found and killed him.
The incident began around seven o'clock Monday morning, near Milwaukee's downtown lakefront. The driver of the vehicle called police and indicated the direction in which the teen had fled. Officers found him sitting in the transit center. They say Rieves refused to drop his semi-automatic handgun, and when they felt he was threatening them, they shot him.
Investigators had hoped to view surveillance video from inside the transit system, but the system wasn't operating at the time.
The officers directly involved have been removed from regular duty, while authorities review the case.