Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Black Male Incarceration Devastates Milwaukee Neighborhoods
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Wed March 2, 2011
Thirteen Senators from both Parties Targeted by Recalls
Recall paperwork has been filed in recent days for eight Republican state senators and five of their Democratic colleagues.
The Government Accountability Board said Wednesday the Republicans targeted are: Robert Cowles, Alberta Darling, Glenn Grothman, Sheila Harsdorf, Randy Hopper, Dan Kapanke, Mary Lazich and Luther Olsen.
The Democratic senators targeted are: Spencer Coggs, Dave Hansen, Jim Holperin, Minority Leader Mark Miller and Robert Wirch.
Once the recall paperwork has been filed, organizers have 60 days to gather signatures. If enough signatures are gathered, the incumbent has to go through a new election.
The recall attempts spur from controversy over support or opposition to GOP Gov. Scott Walker’s controversial budget repair bill, which would strip most of the collective bargaining rights of most public employees.
The bill has drawn tens of thousands of opponents to Madison over the past two weeks for protests inside and outside the Capitol.