Most Active Stories
- New Wisconsin Law Requires Work for Food Stamps
- Border Crisis: Milwaukee Organization to Help House Immigrant Children, if Needed
- Milwaukee Considers Using Abandoned Basements to Hold Storm Water
- Bradford Beach 'Set' For Stop On Pro Volleyball Tour
- UWM's Freshwater School Shares Its Fish With Milwaukee County Zoo Animals
Wed August 7, 2013
Thousands of Triathletes Heading for Milwaukee
This coming weekend, Milwaukee will host the 2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships. As many as 4,300 people are set to compete in the swim-bike-run.
The competitors will range from the best in the country and world, to amateurs interested in staying fit and pushing themselves.
Chief of Operations for USA Triathlon Tim Yount says Milwaukee was selected from among eight cities that submitted bids to host the event - both this year and next.
The athletes taking part are broken into age groups for the event, ranging from the early 20s to late 70s. There will also be a division for 17 to 19 year olds. The course will be longer for the elite triathletes.
Yount says the competition will snake along Milwaukee's lakefront. The swim will take place between Discovery World and the Summerfest grounds, the biking along the Hoan Bridge and on Lake Drive into Cudahy, the run along the Oak Leaf Trail.