Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Thick Ice on Wisconsin Rivers Could Lead to Ice Jams This Spring
Thu January 2, 2014
Three Finalists Bidding to Head UW System
Selection panel narrows field to: Raymond Cross, Peter Garland and Robert King. The UW Board of Regents pick Kevin Reilly's successor on Jan. 8.
Cross is chancellor of the UW Colleges and Extension.
Garland is executive vice chancellor of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
King is president of the Kentucky Council on Post Secondary Education.
Reilly resigned as UW System president, effective Dec. 31. Some legislators had criticized him for allowing the UW campuses to amass huge reserves while continually raising tuition. Supporters said reserves are prudent and much of the money was earmarked for projects. After the reserves were publicized, state leaders voted to freeze tuition for two years.
The UW Board of Regents selection committee will interview the three finalists on Monday and make a recommendation to the full board. It will announce its decision next Wednesday.