Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Wed August 13, 2014
UPDATE: Grothman in Narrow Lead in GOP Nomination for Petri Seat
A recount is possible in the 6th CD GOP primary, as state Sen. Glenn Grothman is only ahead of Sen. Joe Leibham by 214 votes.
Grothman was declared the winner in Tuesday's race, among the four Republicans hoping for the chance to run for the House seat Tom Petri is vacating.
U.S. Rep. Petri chose not to run again, after more than three decades in office.
Grothman came out ahead of fellow legislators Sen. Joe Leibham and Rep. Duey Stroebel, and political newcomer Tom Denow, in the partisan primary.
Grothman campaigned on the promise that he would be the true “fighter” in Washington, D.C. He said he has taken on more controversial issues than his opponents, and he’s been the most vocal on creating a pro-business environment and cutting welfare.
Because Grothman's lead is so narrow, Leibham could request a recount, at no charge.
The winner will face Democratic Winnebago County Executive Mark Harris and Libertarian Gus Fahrendorf in November’s general election.