Most Active Stories
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- Advocate: WI's High Rate of Incarcerating Black Men an "Undeclared State of Emergency"
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- UWM Basketball Win Might Mean More than a Spot in the NCAA Tournament
- These Cute Images Make Reading Chinese Characters 'Chineasy'
Mon July 15, 2013
UWM Men's Basketball Team Will Play Downtown
After playing this past year on campus, at the Klotsche Center, the Panthers will return to the U.S. Cellular Arena, at least for the next five seasons.
UWM and the Wisconsin Center District report reaching an agreement, running through the 2017-18 school year.
Athletic Director Amanda Braun released a statement indicating the downtown venue seems to be more popular with the general public. "Playing downtown allows us to increase our outreach in the community," Braun said, while the university will continue providing students with free admission and transportation from campus to the games.
According to the release, the move back to Klotsche, "was designed to gauge fan reaction and interest in having men's basketball play its home games on campus." However, it appears the switch cost the team some community season ticket-holders.
UWM did upgrade some amenities at Klotsche to accommodate last year's men's season. Braun says the improvements will continue benefiting the women's volleyball and basketball teams, which will continue playing on campus.