Most Active Stories
- Southeastern Wisconsin's Super Rich and Super Poor are Practically Neighbors
- New Ranking: Milwaukee Still Country's Most Segregated Metro Area
- VIDEO: Sunday's Chain Reaction Pileup on Hwy 41/45
- To Tackle Icy Streets, Milwaukee Experiments with Cheese Brine
- Milwaukeeans Reflect on Nelson Mandela's Achievements and Influence
Mon July 15, 2013
UWM Men's Basketball Team Will Play Downtown
After playing this past year on campus, at the Klotsche Center, the Panthers will return to the U.S. Cellular Arena, at least for the next five seasons.
UWM and the Wisconsin Center District report reaching an agreement, running through the 2017-18 school year.
Athletic Director Amanda Braun released a statement indicating the downtown venue seems to be more popular with the general public. "Playing downtown allows us to increase our outreach in the community," Braun said, while the university will continue providing students with free admission and transportation from campus to the games.
According to the release, the move back to Klotsche, "was designed to gauge fan reaction and interest in having men's basketball play its home games on campus." However, it appears the switch cost the team some community season ticket-holders.
UWM did upgrade some amenities at Klotsche to accommodate last year's men's season. Braun says the improvements will continue benefiting the women's volleyball and basketball teams, which will continue playing on campus.