Most Active Stories
- Post Ranking: Top 3 Most Challenging High Schools in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Worst in Nation for Well-Being of Black Children
- Packers' Old Turf Helps Revitalize South Side Milwaukee Neighborhood
- Milwaukee Group: Public School Gyms in Worse Shape than Bradley Center
- Reverse Job Fair: Selling Young Professionals On Opportunities Available in Milwaukee
Tue December 10, 2013
VIDEO: Sunday's Chain Reaction Pileup on Hwy 41/45
The Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation the released traffic cam video showing how a massive pileup developed during Sunday's heavy snow, on Highway 41/45 near Germantown.
The chain reaction accident (starting at 1:39 in the video below) closed the busy highway for nine hours. One person has since died from injuries.
Sunday's snowstorm caused treacherous driving conditions across southeastern Wisconsin. Three people were killed in traffic accidents in metro Milwaukee, while dozens of other drivers and passengers were taken to hospitals for treatment.
The most extensive crashes, in addition to the pile up on Hwy 41/45, were accidents on I-43 in Milwaukee County and I-94 in Racine County.
In one of the few happy endings Sunday, a dog that went missing after being inside one of the vehicles involved in the crash near Germantown, was found hours later, huddling in the cold. A Wisconsin State trooper and tow truck operator returned the dog to its owner, who had been hospitalized. The trooper said it was unlikely the pet would have survived the night, out in the cold.