Most Active Stories
- New Wisconsin Law Requires Work for Food Stamps
- UWM's Freshwater School Shares Its Fish With Milwaukee County Zoo Animals
- Border Crisis: Milwaukee Organization to Help House Immigrant Children, if Needed
- Milwaukee Considers Using Abandoned Basements to Hold Storm Water
- Bradford Beach 'Set' For Stop On Pro Volleyball Tour
Politics & Government
Tue July 23, 2013
Walker Raises $3.5 Million
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker raised $3.5 million during the first half of 2013, far more than the last six months of 2012 when he collected $474,000.
UW-Green Bay Political Scientist Michael Kraft says money raised by Scott Walker in the first half of this year is a large sum, but not nearly so impressive as the nearly $30 million Walker raised during the recall election.
Kraft says the latest total illustrates some of the Governor's success at attracting donors during his out of state trips that are likely tied to Walker's presidential ambitions.
There are no fund raising totals available for a Democratic candidate for Governor since no one has stepped forward yet to declare their candidacy for the 2014 race.
Kraft says there is no assurance that the individual who raises the most money will win a race.
He says however, the longer the Democrats take to choose a challenger, the harder it will be for the party to close the fund raising gap.