Walker Still Mulling Casino Decision, Promises Daily Updates
Gov. Scott Walker says he’s going through volumes of information that the Menominee gave him, in their proposal for a Kenosha casino.
He originally planned to make a decision on the off-reservation project last week; however, on Friday he said he wanted to take more time.
On Monday, Walker said he’ll send daily emails to the public, to announce the issues that he’s considering.
He said he’s already asked his administration to determine whether there are tribal applications for a casino in Illinois. Some casino proponents argue that if Walker does not permit the Menominee to build a casino, that one will be developed in northern Illinois, luring money and jobs across the state line. Administration officials answered Walker, telling him that no tribal applications are pending in Illinois.
That drew a response from the Menominee and the tribe’s partner in the Kenosha casino plan, Hard Rock International. They released a statement, quoting Illinois lawmakers who are pushing for a casino to be built in northern Illinois.
Two tribes, the Potawatomi and the Ho-Chunk, oppose the Menominee plan, fearing the casino would cut into their gaming operations in Wisconsin. Walker has said that his approval of the project is contingent, in part, on unanimous support from the state’s tribes.