Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Wed May 28, 2014
Wall Street Journal: Walker Campaign may be Seeking Settlement to John Doe Probe
According to a Wall Street Journal opinion article, campaign attorney Steven Biskupic "has been negotiating with Wisconsin special prosecutor Francis Schmitz."
No one mentioned in the article has confirmed or denied its contents.
The John Doe probe has reportedly been exploring ties between the 2012 Walker recall campaign and conservative funders.
U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa has ordered a halt to the investigation, and he told prosecutors to destroy all the material they have collected. They took the matter to federal appeals court, which has let them retain their evidence but has not yet ruled on whether they can resume their investigation.
The understandable concern among the direct targets of the John Doe is that Mr. Biskupic will cut a deal that would exonerate Mr. Walker while wresting concessions from some of Mr. Walker's allies.