Most Active Stories
- New Wisconsin Law Requires Work for Food Stamps
- Border Crisis: Milwaukee Organization to Help House Immigrant Children, if Needed
- Milwaukee Considers Using Abandoned Basements to Hold Storm Water
- Bradford Beach 'Set' For Stop On Pro Volleyball Tour
- UWM's Freshwater School Shares Its Fish With Milwaukee County Zoo Animals
Project Milwaukee: Barriers to Achievement in MPS
Across the U.S., school systems face many unique challenges. The Milwaukee Public Schools district is confronted with high drop-out rates, large achievement gaps between races and other serious issues. Of the 80,000 young people MPS educates each year, thousands of these students have learning or behavioral problems.
Many children lack a secure home environment and/or don't have role models who rank education as a priority. WUWM News examined reasons for poor performance within MPS and what is being done to improve students' chances for success. Lake Effect examined the crucial role teachers play in student performance and the unique challenges they face in MPS.