Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Arts & Culture
Fri July 25, 2014
Br(OK)en Genius: Healing Milwaukee Through Art
“As a 24 year old young black male, I technically have less than one year to beat or become a part of the 'dead or in jail' statistic….Only when what is broken comes to light can the broken heal.”
Known by his artistic name as CMP, he drew on his own experience as “a child of the city of Milwaukee”: growing up in a single-parent home, with his young mother raising him with the help of his grandmother and aunt, while his father was a drug dealer, now finishing a four-year term in federal penitentiary.
Determined to break the chains of stereotypes, CMP conceived of an experience that blends the literary, performing, musical, and visual arts into an exhibition exploring the woes of harboring a genius potential in a broken vessel. That project is Br(OK)en Genius.
Christopher McIntyre Perceptions and two collaborative members came by the WUWM studio to speak with Rachel Owens about Br(OK)en Genius and it's official debut at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center on November 21st and 22nd.
- CMP - Artist and owner of CMPerceptions, LLC, based in Milwaukee.
- Montréal Cain: Pianist and business owner of Cain Enterprise.
- Nigel Wade: Spoken word artist, actor, and two-time Milwaukee Poetry Grand Slam Champion.