Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Mon January 13, 2014
Ice Quake Causes Huge Driveway Crack in Waupun
A weather phenomenon known as an ice quake has left a family with a giant, 100-foot long crack in their driveway in rural Waupun.
Dennis Olson says he heard an explosion last week, and thought his garage might have blown up. His garage was fine. Then he checked his basement, thinking a wall had split. His basement was okay, too.
It wasn't until the next morning that Olsen discovered the huge crack in the driveway.
The Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Department says other residents in the area also heard the same booming sounds. An ice quake results from water freezing and expanding in soil and bedrock.