Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Thu July 3, 2014
Les Paul On Piano Jazz
A phenomenal guitarist and pioneering audio engineer, Les Paul has been a major influence in 20th Century music, both as a performer and technical innovator. The guitar legend made a rare appearance on Piano Jazz, bringing with him his trio — Lou Paulo on guitar and Paul Nowinski on bass.
Paul's jazz roots go back to the early 1930s, when he performed Eddie Lang- and Django Reinhardt-style jazz on-air, during his evening radio show on WIND in Chicago.
In this program, recorded at Avatar Studios in 1999, Marian McPartland makes it a quartet, and they perform jazz standards and reminisce on Paul's long and illustrious career, including his early days as a country musician.
Originally recorded Jan. 28, 1999, at Avatar Studios, New York. Originally broadcast June 1, 1999.