Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Mon July 22, 2013
Life in Prison for Senior Who Killed 13-Year-Old Boy
The Milwaukee man who shot and killed 13-year-old Darius Simmons in 2012, will head to prison - with no chance of parole.
Last week, a jury convicted 76-year-old John H. Spooner of first-degree intentional homicide and decided he was sane at the time of the killing.
It happened on the sidewalk outside their homes. Spooner and Simmons were next door neighbors.
The senior told investigators and the court that he shot the boy, believing he had stolen guns from Spooner's home, two days prior. Police searched but did not find the guns in Simmons' home.
A video captured the shooting and was played several times during the trial.
Simmons' family is suing Spooner for wrongful death and is pursuing action against the city, claiming Milwaukee police mistreated Simmons' mother, Patricia Larry, as her son lay dying outside.