Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Black Male Incarceration Devastates Milwaukee Neighborhoods
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Politics & Government
Tue February 11, 2014
Michael Murphy to Lead Milwaukee Common Council
Members of the Milwaukee Common Council on Tuesday elected Ald. Michael Murphy as their new president.
Murphy succeeds Willie Hines, who resigned last week to become associate director of the city Housing Authority.
Murphy represents the 10th aldermanic district on Milwaukee’s far west side. He’s the longest serving member of the council, now in his seventh term.
After his election Tuesday, Murphy thanked his colleagues and family and praised Milwaukee.
"However, like any great city, we have challenges that poverty brings. In spite of these challenges, I know working together we can make a positive difference in the lives of our citizens. I will do all I can to make sure the confidence you have entrusted in me is not ill-placed," Murphy says.
The president presides over council meetings and appoints members to committees. Murphy also will serve as acting mayor when the mayor is out of town.