Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Arts & Culture
Tue June 25, 2013
"This Most Amazing" Weaves Together Milwaukee, Italian Intrigue
Milwaukee writer Jenny Benjamin’s new novel spans hundreds of years and thousands of miles.
This Most Amazing is set in modern-day Milwaukee, but also in Italy just before the turn of the 19th Century.
The novel is told in parallel tracks - one featuring Dahlia, a current-day poet from Milwaukee; the other an 18th Century Italian peasant named Vincenzo.
Since Benjamin is a poet from Milwaukee, you might imagine she'd have an easier time crafting that character. But she said she felt at times more connected to Vincenzo.
The novel, published by Armida Books, is just out.