Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Politics & Government
Fri August 8, 2014
Parents of Milwaukee Boy Killed By Elderly Neighbor Win Civil Suit
The parents of a 13-year-old Milwaukee boy fatally shot by an elderly neighbor have won a civil judgement against the convicted killer, John Spooner.
Spooner suspected the boy had burglarized his home, so he confronted and shot the teen in front of his mother.
A Milwaukee judge on Friday awarded $1.2 million to Patricia Larry, mother of Darius Simmons, and $300,00 to the boy's father, Darius Simmons, Sr.
However, since the state caps such damages at $500,000, the judge appropriated $400,000 to Larry and $100,000 to Simmons.
Larry's attorney says collecting damages from 77-year-old John Spooner is unlikely because he's serving life in prison. But, he says the ruling ensures that any assets discovered in Spooner's estate will go to the boy's parents.