Most Active Stories
- Black Male Incarceration Devastates Milwaukee Neighborhoods
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Set to Hear Arguments in Voter ID Lawsuit
Wed January 8, 2014
Parrot Helps Child Fighting Cancer in New Young Readers Novel
The young heroine of writer Jane Kelley’s latest novel is facing tough circumstances.
Eleven-year-old Alya is fighting leukemia. But she’s been weakened so much that its hard for her to exert any effort to do anything.
But a chance meeting with a precocious parrot shakes up her world - and it should be said, the parrot’s, as well. The book is called The Desperate Adventures of Zeno and Alya.
Kelley says she was inspired by her own encounter with a parrot.
"He wasn’t bred to be particularly brilliant, but it turned out that he was because he could identify shapes and colors and concepts like numbers," she says.
The Milwaukee area native is also the author of two other novels for young readers.