Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Advocate: WI's High Rate of Incarcerating Black Men an "Undeclared State of Emergency"
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
Newport Folk Festival
Sun July 28, 2013
Shovels & Rope, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2013
Originally published on Tue July 30, 2013 9:33 am
Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent have spent the last decade or so singing sweetly, rowdily anthemic folk-country music together, most recently under the name Shovels & Rope. But the South Carolina husband-and-wife duo has only recently begun to take off on a national scale, thanks to a string of fantastically stirring live performances and a fine 2012 album called O' Be Joyful.
Seeing Hearst and Trent perform live together — as they conjure images of country-singing couples like Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash — renders them almost impossible to resist. Hear Shovels & Rope perform as part of the 2013 Newport Folk Festival, recorded live on Saturday, July 27 in Newport, R.I.
- "Shank Hill Street"
- "When I"
- "O' Be Joyful"
- "Kemba's Got The Cabbage Moth Blues"
- "Forsaken Blues"
- "Tell The Truth"
- "Little Black Star" (Hurray For The Riff Raff cover)
- "(I'd Go The) Whole Wide World" (The Monkees cover)
- "All Those Words" (Michael Trent cover)
- "Hail Hail"