Most Active Stories
- Demonstrators Block Freeway Lanes on I-43 in Milwaukee, 74 People Arrested
- DA Will Not Charge Former Milwaukee Police Officer in Fatal Shooting of Dontre Hamilton
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Stand in Solidarity, Wear 'I Can't Breathe' Shirts
- Essay: Sunday is NOT the Shortest Day of the Year
- 2014 'Games to Gift' List
Sun April 21, 2013
Study: Wisconsin Far and Away Leads Nation in Black Male Incarceration
The 2010 Census informed Wisconsin that it had the highest rate of black male incarceration in the country – well over 12 percent. Now a new examination of the numbers puts Wisconsin not only at the top - but far ahead of all other states when it comes to sending black men to prison.
The findings stunned John Pawasarat, director of UWM’s Employment and Training Institute – it reviewed the figures. They show that of all black men in Milwaukee County in their 30s, more than half have served time.