Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Public Union Dust Still Settling in Wisconsin, Three Years After Act 10
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
Sun April 21, 2013
Study: Wisconsin Far and Away Leads Nation in Black Male Incarceration
The 2010 Census informed Wisconsin that it had the highest rate of black male incarceration in the country – well over 12 percent. Now a new examination of the numbers puts Wisconsin not only at the top - but far ahead of all other states when it comes to sending black men to prison.
The findings stunned John Pawasarat, director of UWM’s Employment and Training Institute – it reviewed the figures. They show that of all black men in Milwaukee County in their 30s, more than half have served time.