Most Active Stories
- VIDEO: 88,000 Visitors Make Slippery Trek to Apostle Islands' Extraordinary Ice Caves
- Mentored by The Beatles, Badfinger's Joey Molland Plays On
- 3 Places to Taste the Ramen Renaissance in Milwaukee
- How Shakespeare Helps These Wisconsin Veterans Suffering From PTSD
- Thick Ice on Wisconsin Rivers Could Lead to Ice Jams This Spring
Economy & Business
Fri August 9, 2013
Triathletes Arrive In Milwaukee
Thousands of athletes, family members and spectators will flock to Milwaukee's lakefront this weekend for national competitions.
About 4,500 athletes will participate in this weekend's competitions that feature running, swimming and cycling. They began picking up their entry packets on Friday.
Hundreds of participants have already jumped into Lake Michigan to test the course they'll swim on Saturday or Sunday.
The course travels south from the Discovery World pier inside the breakwater to Lake Shore State Park. The lake's typically cold water didn't seem to faze most participants - several called the water temp 'refreshing.'
Several big road closures are planned for Saturday and Sunday to accommodate race courses. They include parts of East Michigan Street, I-794, South Lake Drive and East Mason Street.
This is the first of a two year run for the USA Triathlon event in Milwaukee. Competitors will return back next summer.
VISIT Milwaukee estimates the economic impact of the event at $2.3 million.