August 5th marks the one year anniversary of the Sikh Temple shootings. Activities have been planned in Oak Creek and Milwaukee to remember the six victims and those injured - Baba Punjab Singh and Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy.
The Sikh Temple of Wisconsin's website reads, "Your presence would show that this is not only a Sikh tragedy, but also an American tragedy. We must fight this violence not with more violence but by coming together with kindness and love."
Friday, August 2, 2013
- 10:30 a.m. - Akhand Paath, a continuous recitation of Shri Guru Granth Sahib, begins at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, 7512 South Howell Avenue in Oak Creek, WI. It will last 48-hours and conclude on Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m.
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Remembrance of the six victims at the U.S. Federal Court House, located at 517 East Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee, WI.
Saturday, August 3, 2013
- 8:30 a.m. - Registration for Chardhi Kala 6K Memorial Run/Walk: Turning Tragedy into Triumph at Oak Creek High School track, located at 340 E. Puetz Road in Oak Creek, WI.
- 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Chardhi Kala 6K Run/Walk followed by food and games.
Sunday, August 4, 2013
- 10:30 a.m. - Akhand Paath concludes at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. - Kirtan, hymns sung in the praise of God, at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Tributes to the victims at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
Monday, August 5, 2013
- 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. - Simran, contemplative meditation, at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 8:00 p.m. - Community Candlelight Vigil at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
The Sikh Temple of Wisconsin is located at 7512 South Howell Avenue in Oak Creek, WI.