Year after Sikh Temple Shooting, Events Planned to Honor Victims
August 5th marks the one year anniversary of the Sikh Temple shootings. Activities have been planned in Oak Creek and Milwaukee to remember the six victims and those injured - Baba Punjab Singh and Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy.
The Sikh Temple of Wisconsin's website reads, "Your presence would show that this is not only a Sikh tragedy, but also an American tragedy. We must fight this violence not with more violence but by coming together with kindness and love."
Friday, August 2, 2013
- 10:30 a.m. - Akhand Paath, a continuous recitation of Shri Guru Granth Sahib, begins at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, 7512 South Howell Avenue in Oak Creek, WI. It will last 48-hours and conclude on Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m.
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Remembrance of the six victims at the U.S. Federal Court House, located at 517 East Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee, WI.
Saturday, August 3, 2013
- 8:30 a.m. - Registration for Chardhi Kala 6K Memorial Run/Walk: Turning Tragedy into Triumph at Oak Creek High School track, located at 340 E. Puetz Road in Oak Creek, WI.
- 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Chardhi Kala 6K Run/Walk followed by food and games.
Sunday, August 4, 2013
- 10:30 a.m. - Akhand Paath concludes at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. - Kirtan, hymns sung in the praise of God, at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. - Tributes to the victims at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
Monday, August 5, 2013
- 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. - Simran, contemplative meditation, at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
- 8:00 p.m. - Community Candlelight Vigil at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
The Sikh Temple of Wisconsin is located at 7512 South Howell Avenue in Oak Creek, WI.